City Council appoints interim police chief; approves various codes

Deputy Chief Kent to take over as interim chief of MPD

By Kip Cheek, Managing Editor
Posted 6/5/24

MENDOTA - The Mendota City Council appointed at interim police chief and handled several ordinances and requests at its June 3 regular meeting.

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

City Council appoints interim police chief; approves various codes

Deputy Chief Kent to take over as interim chief of MPD

Posted

MENDOTA - The Mendota City Council appointed at interim police chief and handled several ordinances and requests at its June 3 regular meeting.

Mayor David Boelk announced the appointment of Tyler Kent as interim chief of the Mendota Police Department effective June 21. The city council will reaffirm the motion at its next meeting. He had been serving as deputy chief. Current police chief Greg Kellen announced his retirement last month after six years as chief.

ALDERMANIC REPORTS

Alderman John Hessenberger announced the outcome of a Plan Commission meeting held prior to the council meeting. The Plan Commission discussed a variance request from Eddie Diaz for property at 1314 1/2 Meriden St. and also city codes. The Plan Commission recommended to proceed with both matters. In council discussion about the Diaz variance request, it was determined that the property owner had met all requirements to open his business with the exception of a building inspection. The request was not approved, but is moving forward in the process with a building inspection being the final item.

In regard to codes, the council adopted an ordinance approving various codes. The council also approved an ordinance amending certain chapters of the Mendota Municipal Code book.

In other items from Hessenberger’s report, it was announced that a contractor training session of the new building permit process will be held on Monday, June 10 at noon and 5:30 p.m. at the city council chambers.

A representative from a company that installs digital billboards addressed the council in regard to erecting a billboard at 1214 Washington St. (Lube Cube building). He said one side is digital and the other vinyl. He said the billboard would have approximately 80 percent occupancy with the city free to use the other 20 percent. Since the billboard would be located on a state highway, permission would first be needed from the Illinois Department of Transportation. The city gave its approval to continue with the process of seeking the permission of IDOT to install.

Alderman Jim Fitzpatrick presented two requests from the Mendota YMCA, both of which were approved. The YMCA was given permission to use the basketball courts at Strouss Park on Aug. 3 & 4 and the pickle ball courts at Lake Mendota Park on Aug. 10 for respective tournaments.

The council approved two items as presented by Alderman John Holland. The first was the establishment of a fee structure for building permits and the second was to set a minimum fee of $50 for occupancy permits.

Alderman Mark Peasley asked the council to contemplate a way to honor Mendota native Ray Jauch, who will be inducted into the Canadian Football League Hall of Fame in September.

Alderwoman Vicki Johnson said a new city website should be up and running by the end of this week. She said the website will be more user friendly and will contain more information, including the newly adopted building codes. The website will have the same address as current – www.mendota.il.us.

The next regular meeting of the Mendota City Council will be Monday, June 17 at 5:30 p.m.