Sublette residents to see water rate increase
By TONJA GREENFIELD
SUBLETTE — The residents of the Village of Sublette will see their water rates increase beginning in 2023.
The Village of Sublette board met during its regular monthly meeting on Monday, Dec. 12, at the Ellice Dinges Center. All members of the board were present.
In a previous meeting, the board had discussed raising the water rate from $4.80 per 1,000 gallons to $5.40 per 1,000 gallons. A motion was made for this increase. A question was raised on whether this increase was enough. Sublette Village President John Stenzel said if the board wanted to, they could do another increase next year, or even sometime again in 2023. All board members approved this increase, except for Sublette Village Trustee Larry Ellis, who voted no because he thought the rate should be higher. This change will be effective as of Jan. 1, 2023.
In other board news:
- The board approved to keep the tax levy at the same amount as last year, $15,363. It was mentioned that the levy amount has been the same for about the last 10 years.
- The Sublette Antique Tractor and Farm Toy Show event has been set for March 18-19, 2023.
- Ellis asked the board to purchase a new stove for the Ellice Dinges Center. He said he found a stove for the amount of $599. Ellis made a motion to purchase the stove, but the motion failed due to a lack of a second to the motion. Other board members expressed that they would like to see this matter go to committee, and to get other prices to compare.
- The board agreed to implement the fee for each video gaming machine in the village for 2023. When COVID hit, the board suspended the fee for the video gaming machines. The current fee is $25 per machine. Ellis expressed that he thought the fee should be raised. The fee is set in a village ordinance and the ordinance would have to be amended. Board members expressed keeping the fee the same for 2023, but looking at raising it for 2024.
- Three seats on the village board will be up for election in 2023. The petition filing dates were Dec 12-19. The seats up for election are currently held by Scott Hanson, Jeff Myers and MacKenzie Belan.
The next Sublette Village Board meeting will be held on Monday, Jan. 9, at 7 p.m., at the Ellice Dinges Center.